Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Love your Heart!

February, wow! I can't believe it is already here.  This month is very dear to me, because it is Heart Month!  There are so many of my family members that have been affected by this disease.  My grandmother, my uncles, my aunt, and even myself.  I say "affected", because some of them actually found out about it, so they are able to be proactive about getting it healthier.  Unfortuantely,  my Dad didn't even know his heart was in trouble.  He died on May 30, 2010 in his sleep from Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease. He was only 57 years old. I miss the old man like crazy, and I hope he would be proud to know that I started this fitness/health venture in part, because I want to educate others about how to make little changes that can ultimately change lives. 

I developed SVT during my second pregnancy, and I had no idea WHAT it was let alone HOW to treat it.  I only knew of my family history, and at age 31, I became a regular visitor at the cardiologist.  I had stress tests, leak tests, EKGs, MRIs, CAT scans, Ultrasounds, you name it, I did it.  Unfortuantely, to date, there are no findings of any defects, so for now, I can do only what I can control.  I wanted to know everything I could do to "control" my heart palpitations without going on a lifetime of medications.  Therefore, I learned my personal triggers (caffeine, too much alcohol, eating too much, etc).  After making some changes, my symptoms lessened.  After my Dad's passing, I decided that I needed to do EVERYTHING I could do to be healthy.  It has been a process, and it has taken me 4 years to get to where I am with my diet and exercise are today.  As of today, I only have minor palpitations, if any at all, so I will continue to do my part. 

I can't change the fact that it is hereditary, but I can change how I live each one of my days.  If that means I can't eat some things or I have to exercise a little harder, then I will do my best.  I mean, after all, that is what I can control, right?

If you are someone you know needs more information about heart disease, please click here.

I love you Daddy....



No comments:

Post a Comment