Saturday, January 7, 2012

Where do I begin?

At the beginning of the year, we try to figure out how to keep our promises to ourselves to be healthier and exercise more. Some of us find the way to achieve it, but most of us have a hard time figuring out where to get started. For me, I created some simple rules for myself.

1) Exercise can be F -U -N
Rule #1, find something that is FUN!  I am not much of a long distance runner, so I found an interval training program that got me interested in getting back on the treadmill.  I made sure that I did my workout every M/W/F. My hopes were to build up enough stamina to go to some group fitness classes.  After completing the 8 week program, I started seeing weight loss.  It isn't rocket science, I mean, exercise does a body good.  Finally, I stepped into some fitness classes where I challenged myself just to finish the class or not to hurl during the class. I went into a new class randomly on a Tuesday afternoon, and I met Jen.  The class was some kind of "power" class that I had never even heard of.  I stepped in and within minutes I was hooked.  It turned out to be a weightlifting/cardio class. Week after week, I returned to better my best, then I got ask to join a quest of some sort.  There were several woman that were going to start meeting to do "boot camp" style personal training.  I thought that was a fantastic idea.  All summer we sweated and laughed as the weight dropped off, but we did gain a fantastic friendship!  All in all, just find something that challenges you and HAVE FUN! 

2) Shop natural/fresh ingredients.

Rule # 2  Know that this is a work in progress for us.  The biggest challenge for me is that I have to "retrain" my family. When my kids were babies, they ate any and everything with no perception of how anything taste. Now, it is a struggle to get them to try certain foods. I have to look at me as a parent and say, where did they get these perceptions?  I love to cook, but I am terrible about following recipes.  I found CleanEating, and I started playing with different foods.  I started seeing a repetitive list of ingredients in all their dishes. I noticed that the fewer the ingredients, the better the taste.  This began a challenge for me, so I was all about reading foodie blogs.  At the store, I started looking at ingredients on prepackaged items, and I couldn't even pronounce some of them.  Therefore, rule #2 was born.  If I can't pronounce it, I wouldn't buy or eat it.  In the kitchen, I wanted to use cook foods with few and only natural ingredients.  I quit buying seasoning in packets, and I started making my own seasonings.  It takes a little extra time, but you can make it in bulk to have on hand.  I also started freezing fresh fruits/vegetables if I wasn't going to use them, so I wouldn't waste so much food and money.  I found that this saves time in the future if you need quick veggies to throw in soup or stir fry, since it is already cut up.  The main  thing to remember is to start small.  Just cut one thing out of your weekly shopping trip, and it will lead to great things!! 


3) Decided to stay healthy.

Rule # 3, You have the power to be healthier.  After years of struggling with allergy/sinus problems, I decided to do something about them.  I found Shaklee. I had been taking Cinch protein to help supplement calorie loss, but I didn't know how important it was to also feed my body the correct nutrients.  I started taking the Vitalizer to help sustain my sinus problems and build my immune system.  I can tell you that I have felt better than ever before.  If you or someone you know is struggling to feel good, contact me at skinny_green@yahoo.com.  I would love to tell them my story.  I don't know much, but I do know that this worked for me. 



It doesn't matter where you start, but where you want to end up.  As my husband pointed out, I didn't make all these changes at the same time.  I started with something familiar to me which was exercise.  I got AM a little obsessed with seeing how far I can take my body, but it certainly led me to different things.  Exercise to diet to overall health, and so on....It may not seem easy, but you can do it.  What will you start with? 

No comments:

Post a Comment