Thursday, June 21, 2012

Summer Snackin'

Summer just started, and I noticed that the kids are wanting to snack all day long!  I started researching ways to portion out healthy snacks, and I ran across this idea.  My kids love the freedom of getting a snack when they feel like they need it.  In fact, I did a pantry overhaul last winter, and I only included healthier snack choices.  The problem is that this works great for grabbing one snack per day, but not an ALL day summer solution. 

I want my kids to have the freedom to choose their snacks, but they need to have them portioned out, so they can "snack" healthy all day.  My son is the more frequent snacker, and I have noticed that he has put on a few from all this unportioned/unnecessary eating.  Don't get me wrong, I want my kids to be kids.  I want them to enjoy choosing foods they like, but there needs to be some control on HOW MUCH they are consuming.  Therefore, I am going to pick up a couple of these ice trays, and I will fill them with better snacking ideas.   Below, I have listed some favorites in our house that I accept as better than normal snacks. 


Kid's Snacks

Grapes

Frozen Yogurt Bites

Carrots

Apples

Pretzels

Annie's Fruit Snacks

Goldfish/Cheezits

Blue Corn Chips


I am sure there are many more, but these are the choices that I know they will eat.  I want it to be fun for them, because it won't work otherwise.  What other snacks do you recommend for this new approach?  

No comments:

Post a Comment