Sunday, March 4, 2012

Say What???


I don't know about you, but this whole organic vs. natural sure is confusing.  My rule of thumb (my opinion) is try to buy things with fewer ingredients.  It usually end up being the easiest way to make quick decisions at the grocery store.  I've read all kinds of blogs and articles that both have great points.  Today, I decided I would be brave and throw my "healhier" choices out to help others know what to look for.  Are they the best choices? Probably not, but I am still learning and I bet they will be better options than what some are choosing.  Therefore, take them or leave them, but I just want minimal ingredients with still a slight convenience factor.  It is about the journey for the rest of your life, and I'm practical and REALISTIC. 
 According to Wikipedia, "Natural foods" and "all natural foods" are widely used terms in food labeling and marketing with a variety of definitions, some of which are vague. The term is assumed to imply foods that are minimally processed and do not contain manufactured ingredients, but the lack of standards in some jurisdictions means that the term assures nothing. The term "organic" has similar implications and has an established legal definition in many countries and an international standard. In some places, the term "natural" is defined and enforced. In others, such as the United States, it has no meaning.
The fact is that we can get duped by “Natural” labels. They do not necessarily mean the product is healthy for you. If you want no growth hormones, antibiotics, and free pastured cows, but be prepared to pay for the more expensive organic products. Sometimes there may not be a reasonable organic options, so the next best thing may be "natural" . 








No comments:

Post a Comment